Olav Anton Thommessen, The Hermaphrodite, Interpreten: Oslo Sinfonietta, Christian Eggen, Dirigent; Eir Inderhaug, Sopran; Isa Katharina Gericke, Sopran; Anna Elisabeth Einarsson, Mezzo-Sopran; Nils Harald Sødal, Tenor; Espen Fegran, Bariton; Ketil Hugaas, Bass; 2 CDs, Aurora (Naxos) ACD5049
As a central figure in Norwegian musical life, Olav Anton Thommessen has throughout his career made an impressive contribution to the acknowledgment of newer forms of music, either through his occasional radical musical language, his capabilities to discover new views on the musical process through his tuition, or as a debater on the position of music and art in society as a whole.
The chamber opera »The Hermaphrodite« was composed between 1970-1980. The chamber opera consists of seven independent chamber works which, when performed in succession, comprise a scenic whole. In a sense the opera is an allegory on the awakening sexuality in man and the meeting between its masculine and feminine aspects. Now, 40 years after its premiere in 1976, the opera is finally released on CD!
1. Det hemmelige evangelium/The Secret Gospel: Oppvåkningen/The Awakening
2. Hermafroditten/The Hermaphrodite: Erkjennelsen/The Confession
3. Hermafroditten/The Hermaphrodite: Angrepet/The Attack
4. Hermafroditten/The Hermaphrodite: Begjæret/Desire
5. Hermafroditten/The Hermaphrodite: Drømmen/The Dream
6. Hermafroditten/The Hermaphrodite: Søvnen/The Sleep
7. Hermafroditten/The Hermaphrodite: Epilog
8. Et konsertkammer/A Concert Chamber: Marerittet/Bad Dream
9. Gjensidig/Mutually: Innsikten/Insight
10. Ekko av et ekko/Echo of an Echo: Møtet/The Meeting
11. Overtonen/The Overtone: Kjærligheten/Love
12. Maldoror: Orgien/The Orgy